The chance of collecting the queen in a cutout such as this, is very hit or miss. I usually set the bees up in a hive box and then leave them alone for two to three weeks. When I checked the hive after this waiting period I knew something was wrong when I only saw drone brood.
Upon closer inspecton I noticed what I had only read about; multiple eggs in many of the cells. This is an indication of a laying worker bee. In an attempt to salvage the hive a worker will take over the duties of the missing queen by laying eggs. Unfortunately the worker was never mated so all the eggs that hatch and mature into an adult will be drones.
It's interesting to see in some of the cells that had multiple eggs more than one larvae hatched. Two or more larvae developing in the same cell quickly consume all the royal jelly and bee bread placed in the cell by the nurse bees. It's unlikely that two pupae would develope from a single cell.
The only recourse I had was to combine the bees from this cut out hive with another existing hive in my apiary.