Monday, May 30, 2011

Bee removal from a cable junction box.

I recently worked on removing bees from a cable television junction box.  I checked out the site ahead of the actual removal and it didn't appear to be that big of a hive.
Cover over a cable television junction box.

I removed the cover and found the inside filled with comb and bees.

I worked for three hours cutting out five frames of brood comb, scooping up handfuls of bees and vacuuming the remaining bees into the two nucleus boxes using my BushKill Farms design bee vacuum.
I set the hive up in my apiary and by the next morning the bees were swarming and had covered the outside of the hive box.  I scooped them up and poured them into a set of two eight frame medium boxes that contained new foundation and a frame of uncapped brood from one of my other hives.  I placed a queen excluder just above the bottom board to keep the queen in, if there is one, and I stuffed grass in the opening to keep the rest of the bees in the hive until they get used to their new home.  I also gave them some sugar water in a Boardman entrance feeder to further entice them to stay put.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...