Tuesday, February 1, 2011

End-grain Cutting Boards

One of the wood working projects that has been very popular among friends and family has been end-grain cutting boards.  This board was a gift to my sister.  It was a challenge to construct since it exceeded the capacity of some of my wood working tools.  The design is always unique but the plan was found in a Wood magazine article (October 2006). 

In response, my sister made me a quilt using a similar cutting board pattern modeled here by our cat Hunter.

The last board I made was returned due to a crack that developed between some of the laminates.


I'm not sure why this board began to split but I believe it was due to skimping on the glue (Titebond II) .  It is possible that I didn't let the wood acclimate to my shop temperature and humidity before cutting the four quarter stock into the pieces used in the construction.


This is the cutting board during glue-up of the pieces.  I believe their was adequate pressure applied to the laminates during glue-up but it is possible I didn't use enough glue.


I plan to start over from scratch and use more glue on the next cutting board.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...